Try this, and next thing you know, your family and friends will ask you to drive through the neighborhood playing the ice cream man theme song. You could sell this and buy yourself a summer home, it is that good.
Strawberry Mascarpone Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 Tbs honey
- 8 0z mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 2 Tbs Honey
- 2 Tbs grand Marnier ( optional )
* I have made this with blueberries and blackberries as well. Fabulous!
- Heat half and half, cream and vanilla to almost a boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile blend egg yolks , sugar and honey till smooth.
- Slowly whisk a bit of hot cream mixture into egg yolks to temper it and slowly return egg mixture to pan, whisk constantly over medium low heat until mixture coats back of a spoon ( about 5 minutes or so ).
- Remove from heat and let cool to warm.
- Add and blend in the mascarpone cheese.
- Refrigerate, covered until well chilled.
- Meanwhile slice strawberries and mix with honey and liqueur
- Process chilled mixture in ice cream machine following manufacturer's instructions.
- When beginning to get thick, add drained strawberries and continue to churn until a soft consistency.
- Then freeze well.
- Note: the liqueur in the strawberries may make the ice cream a bit softer.
- This is okay since this ice cream freezes hard and needs to soften a bit at room temperature before serving.